BarFlyArchive: Jen Lane's interview with the most popular man in Portland - John "Elvis" Shroder!
How long have you been performing?
Have you always been "Elvis"?
Uh-uh. That was thanks to Willamette Week. They had the "Best of Portland" [poll], and people voted me "Best Elvis Impersonator". So, I kinda thought, [pfft] if that's what they want that's what they'll get. I mean if that's what they wanted, why not? So, I learned more of his songs and I watched his movies, and watched him, how he moved and how he stood. And what he did before he went, you know, on stage or did a performance. More or less, [I did] background research.
When do you do Elvis nowadays?
Whenever I'm needed. I do noon to 5 or 4 at Saturday Market on Saturdays and Sundays. And I don't just perform here. I've performed at Folk Life, in Seattle. I've even been as far as San Francisco, at a place called Art Attack. I was on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Matter of fact, I even performed in Corvallis, opening for an actual Elvis impersonator. I mean, the real thing! And people hire me out for birthdays, too.
Do you do a lot of birthdays?
Yes! The best birthday I ever did was [for] a friend of mine. His daughter had just turned, I think, 22, or something like that. And he brought me over to the house, but he never told her what was going on, and I just came out of one of the rooms-just showed up! The look on her face was just classic. I love birthdays where the person has no idea what's going on. I like to surprise people!
What's it like being the most popular performer in Portland?
It's good and it's not so good. You know, if it weren't for the fans, I wouldn't be here. But sometimes they're a little bit pushy. You know, when I'm trying to walk down the street or something, or, you know, want to go to the library by myself, they get a little... inconvenient.
How do you handle that?
Well I don't lose my head like other celebrities, that's one thing! I just tell 'em, "Not right now, I'm on an errand."
What do you sign when someone asks for your autograph?
I sign "Elvis", what the hell.
Does it bother you that everyone calls you Elvis, instead of John?
Ummm, that all depends on how they use it. It doesn't so long as they, you know, be nice about it, but it does if they mistreat it. Make fun of it, you know, make some smart-aleck remark behind [my back].
How do you deal with people like that?
I don't. Some people are just jealous of me. If you can believe that!
Well, you are the biggest celebrity in town, after all!
You have no idea! I get my share of fanatics. I'm like Donald Trump, here. [Laughs] My fans, you know, it's hard for them to leave me alone sometimes. Sometimes it's hard to get around [because of them]. But it's when you don't get asked or don't get bugged that you start worrying. Really, you know, I love my fans!
Don't miss Elvis's Birthday Party 2009, at Dante's (1 SW Third), on Tuesday, September 29th! Please click here for more info.
Miss Jen Lane of BarFly fame Blog Archive
- And the 2013 BarFly Award Winners are...
- And the 2013 BarFly Award Nominees are...
- HOLY SMOKES! Jedediah shaved his beard!
- 2013 BarFly Award Nominations are now open!
- BarFly's Holiday Helper 2012 - Thanksgiving Edition
- Take BarFly's Holidaze Survey, now!
- Don't be a Halloweenie - get on the BUS! 13th Annual BarFly Halloween Bus Tour, Saturday, October 27th, 2012
- TGIBarFly! Live "gay hardcore metal punk pop rock" w Gaytheist @ Star Theater today 5-8pm + BarFly Bus Olympics Fever!
- And the 2012 BarFly Award Winners are...
- BarFlySPAM: Happy hour dance party at Slabtown, TODAY + Elvis's Birthday + groovy gigs hand-picked, just for you
- BarFlySPAM: Happy OktoMataBusFest!
- BarFlySPAM: Happy OktoMataBusFest!
- FXFO! BarFly's DIY guide to making your own 100% free PDX fest! Plus, where to drink at MFNW
- BarFlySPAM 7.22.11: TGIBarF it up w HazMatt at Swift, TODAY, + get down w Goddamn Gentlemen, TOMORROW!
- BarFlySPAM for Friday, July 15th, 2011 - Hey, Ho, NoPo! + Bacon, Bastille Day, and Buses, oh, my!
- Sweet, sweet BarFlySPAM for Friday, July 8th, 2011 - BarFly Bus Summer Sale Edition!
- Hot BarFlySPAM: Red, White, and Blue Edition for Thursday, June 30th, 2011
- Fresh BarFlySPAM, hot off the internets for Friday, June 24th, 2011 - BarFly Anniversary BBQ Bash edition!
- Fresh BarFlySPAM, hot off the internets for Friday, June 17th, 2011
- Hot BarFlySPAM, fresh off the interweb for Friday, June 10th, 2011
- Hot BarFlySPAM, fresh off the interweb for Friday, June 3rd, 2011
- Meet Babe Force BarFly!
- And the 2011 BarFly Award Winners are...
- Time to vote for the BarFly Awards!
- And the 2011 BarFly Award Nominees are...
- It's BarFly Awards time! Nominate your fave raves for a 2011 BarFly Award today!
- Purpose Driven Drinking: BarFly's list of Bars showing the State of the Union address (SOTU)
- And the 2010 BarFly Award Winners were...
- BarFly Awards 2010: Rock the vote by text!
- And the 2010 BarFly Award Nominees are...
- BarFly's List of New Year's Eve Shenanigans in Portland, Oregon
- BarFly's List of Bars Open on Christmas in Portland, Oregon
- BarFlyArchive: Jen Lane's interview with the most popular man in Portland - John "Elvis" Shroder!
- BarFSPAM 7.7.09: Those darn kids! And Michael Jackson, of course.
- BarFlyArchive: Jen Lane's interview with Portland's #1 Michael Jackson "supporter"
- BarFSPAM 6.24.09: Nerd Alert! BarFly's tips for the, ahem, socially awkward
- BarFlySpam 6.17.09: With extra cheese and naked men - WIN tickets to the Men of Playgirl!
- BarFspam 5.29.09: Brunch of Champions, The Feud Returns, and Voodoo Gets Old
- BarFly Wire: Not that I'm saying anything...
- Memorial for slain motorcyclist and Power of County member, Dan Baldwin, set for Saturday, April 12, at Bossanova
- BarFly Mailbag: Holy crap - It's Blondie! At Roseland!
- BarFly Earful: Space Room in new orbit?
- BarFly Mailbag: Dedicating Nov.7th screening of short film in memory of Doug Baum
- Doug Baum, R.I.P.
- BarFly Says: Tuesday Night's Alright!
- A hundred bucks for a brand new BMW? Feeling lucky, punk?
- Yet another beer festival...cancelled
- BarFly's Battle of the Band Vans - you've got to be in it, to win it!
- BarFly loves a parade - especially when thereís Voodoo and doughnuts!
- BarFly Mailbag: Random Rant #3,692 "Fucky You BOG and Space Room"
- Pickles, Ammo, and a Red Dress - that's all I need!
- Bye-Bye BarFly? Portland indie-media darling follows MySpace to News Corp
- Total bummer: Brazen Bean loses lease, gets to kicked to curb
- Nice Stackage! Voodoo Doughnut 5th Annual Cockfest is tonight
- THERE WILL BE PEEPS! Peeps Eating Contest & Easter Egg Hunt Saturday Night - win $100!
- Portland thieves steal Bridgetown comicís hometown spirit!
- Bridgetown Comedy Fest brings sixty comedians to Portland - Patton Oswalt headlines! March 6-8, 2008
- Save gas, ride a mustache - this Saturday
- OLCC Sting Operation, Wednesday, December 12th?
- Let the resentment begin!
- Be all the BarFly you can be as BarFly's first INTERN!
- BarFlymag.com Uber Alles!
- Two G-Spots, One Night - Youíre coming, right?
- My new G-Spot! Mapquest it if you can't find it.
- Deejay Meee-owww (a.k.a. Miss Jen Lane of BarFly fame) scratching at short-shorts tonight, at Roscoe's!
- Hot, fresh, BarFly Spam: BarFly's Back in Print + Social Event of the Season + Strip-O-Rama X times 2!
- My heart breaking sounds like opportunity knocking
- First he plays our anniversary party, now this!
- Win tickets to Hell's Belles at Dante's on Saturday, say sayonnara to Sabala's on Sunday!
- Split Lip Rayfield's Kirk Rundstrom Succumbs to Cancer
- Friday Iíve got Sunday on my mind
- Me and Anna Nicole, among other extremely important things you should drop everything to read about right now
- Portland is so creative!
- Work for BarFly? Dreams come true?
- And the winners are...
- Last minute questions about tonightís BarFies, ANSWERED!
- Eight is Great! Check out the Top 8 nominees for the BarFly Awards!
- And the winners were...
- So psyched for Storm!
- Strip-O-Rama VI!
- Only 6 tickets left for Cinco de Drinko!
- Here, kitty, kitty!
- Here, kitty, kitty!
- Hey! Look at me! On the radio!
- Holy crap, there really is a god.
- Holy Crap! There really is a god
- By popular demand... A SECOND BUS FOR ST. PATíS!
- R.I.P. Thomas "Pig Champion" Roberts
- R.I.P. Maston Simmons, 1966-2006
- Pass the BarF, please
- Best. Thing. Ever!
- Holy crap!
- Am. Indians vs Honkies Feud TODAY!
- Feud TODAY @ Ash Street + New Quiz: Stoner, Lush, or Slush!
- Glam Slam: Diamond Tuck vs Lovely @ the Ash Tray 6-9pm TODAY!
- Levon! Elvis! Halloween!
- Make new friends and influence people on BarFlyís PubCrawl
- Help needed for Katrina Gift Certificate Drive in Portland
- 2005 BarFly Award Winners!
- The BarFly Awards!
- Nominees, please!
- FEUD! Happy Hour! Wednesday!
- Increase your BUS SIZE naturally!
- BarF at the end of Serenity Lane
- FEUD! Drag Queens vs Bears!